Friday, June 24, 2011

Itsa me, Mario! Er, Katherine.


Hooray! The inaugural post of our blog!
If I had acted on the idea to start this thing when it first came to me, I might have been a little closer to the front of the blogger line instead of peering out from behind the blog in front of me only to see miles and miles of others stretched out ahead like the line for a Barefoot Contessa book signing.  Mais, c’est la vie. At least I’m finally doing it.
As someone who’s been journaling regularly for 11 years, it’s pretty exciting to me to have a multi-media record of the life and times of my family. Also, it’ll be a nice way to keep in touch.
Talking on the phone is not one of my favorite things, which means I’m sometimes really, really bad at returning phone calls and/or answering my phone in the first place. As a result, those in my second circle  (friends and family who don’t live nearby or with whom I don’t speak often enough – and actually, as a recent transplant to San Antonio, pretty much everyone I love, excluding a few notable exceptions, is in the second circle simply due to geography – and my crappy phone etiquette) are sometimes dreadfully uninformed about my thoughts on which laundry stain removers actually work and whether or not my husband and I are coexisting peacefully. I’m sure they’re losing sleep over it. This blog will hopefully help remedy that, and then some.
At any rate, I’m going to be totally honest about whatever I’m talking about because honesty is one of my favorite things.  For starters, I’ll say that I have found being married and being a mother to be the absolute hardest things I have ever done.  My husband Michael is going back to college full-time and he’s really regretting not being finished already. He says if he could go back now and go to school without having a family, he’d sail right through. If you run a mile with weights on your ankles, when you take them off it’s as if you’re flying (I mean, I assume it is).
Just like weighting your ankles for a run, being a mom is super challenging, but it's also very rewarding. In addition to stronger biceps from hoisting the babe up and down all day,  I can feel my emotional endurance building, my patience growing and my tolerance for annoying things getting higher and higher. And I miss my single life less and less. Which most of the time feels really, really good. I’m getting stronger just by being part of a family.
Anyway, I'm really glad I finally decided to start this blog because I miss, miss, miss sharing my rambling thoughts with you and feeling connected even though we may be miles apart.

Let's hunker down and get through this thing together.

And remember, no matter what happens, We Can Fix It!

Coming up: We paint our bedroom curtain rods….Red Orange! But first: More random thoughts and an awesome pancake recipe.

Love,

Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment